- First, alcohol. I do despise this substance ever so much, but this isn't the reason I'm including it. I'm including it because I am realizing how dependent it makes people. I went camping this past weekend and in the evening everyone was hanging out talking. I was having an enjoyable enough time, just a nice, laid back evening talking and joking around. The only problem was, everyone else was complaining constantly about how "boring" it was, I mean, why shouldn't it be boring? We didn't have alcohol. As I observed everyone around me, I realized that they are incapable of having a fun evening without alcohol. I mean, of course there were a few who don't drink so often, but the rest, well, I happen to know that they drink much too often. There we were, in the great outdoors, spending an evening in a beautiful, serene Australian forest, and all they wanted was beer. Personally, I like the fact that I can enjoy my life thoroughly with just me, and that an experience like that is as full as it can be without changing my awareness to make it more... "fun." You may disagree with me, but I don't care.
- The new movie, "Inglorious Bastards." I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, it got 89%. Everyone is talking about how awesome the movie is. I knew it was Rated R, so I decided to check kidsinmind.com and see why it was rated so. Now if you are queasy, stop reading, because I'm about to give one example of what is written. "A man with a baseball bat strikes another man in the head (we see the head tip sharply on impact), the man falls over on the ground and is beaten repeatedly in the body and head with the bat (we see blood and the head is reduced to a flattened mass)." This was just one of many bullets under the "Violence/Gore" category (it was the first I read, I couldn't stomach reading the rest), which was given a 10 out of 10. I remind you, this movie was given 89% by Rotten Tomatoes... everyone (at least here in Australia) is talking about how awesome it is. Am I the only one who is reminded of Ancient Rome, where people were entertained by the vicious murders of fellow human beings? My question is, what makes our society any different? I assure you, if there were stadiums where people were murdered brutally today, they would be pathetically popular (ever seen a Mexican bull fight?). After all, look at the most popular movies of the day. People are so desensitized that even the most disturbing things do little more than give them excited butterflies. I feel too strongly about this... I should probably stop writing before I start throwing out stronger words than I usually use...
- Facebook. It never fails to astound me with what it does to society. For one, I recently noticed that I'd gained a new "friend." For the first time, I noticed the icon next to it. A big "+1," which reminded me of gaining a life in Mario. I never thought the day would come when gaining a new friend would give me the same feeling as leveling up in a computer game.
- I noticed today that I can buy presents for people on Facebook. They are $1 each. I thought, oh, well, how much of this fake money do I have? Then I realized the horrible truth: This was not fake, virtual money. This is real money, the stuff you buy real things with. And here this corrupted organization is, charging real human beings for "gifts" that are nothing more than different colored pixels on a computer screen. Okay, so you might be able to argue, "It's the thought that counts." Well, if that's as much effort as you are going to put into getting me a "present" and expressing your friendship to me, maybe we should stay Facebook "friends" and keep it at that. Gosh, why do I even have a Facebook account? Oh, that's right, because everyone else does and it's the only way to "keep in touch" anymore. And by keep in touch, I mean occasionally stalk each other.
- One last bullet I just remembered: Obama. What the crap? The things he's doing are kinda creeping me out... not to mention Nationalized Healthcare. I mean, I know he knows this, but he's seemingly ignoring the issue that even though we may be able to keep our current insurance providers, that doesn't mean we won't have to pay buttloads more in taxes to pay for everyone else's. I do not want to pay to take care of some fat slob living in the ghetto. Okay, complain about how expensive healthcare is, blah blah blah. Maybe if you stopped spending all your money on freaking alcohol and Cheetos you would be able to afford it, and maybe even get a job where you don't show up every Monday hung over. One thing I would support is helping people who actually need AND deserve healthcare; maybe I would give up a few more dollars a year to take care of them (oh, wait, isn't that what charities are for? hmm...), but I do not want to help take care of the people who are screwing their bodies over. I am taking care of my body so that I can live a long life and not pay thousands in health bills (that is, to avoid things I can avoid. I do understand that people with certain problems can't avoid them... did I already mention charities?). Why does Obama think it's fair that I will now have to pay to take care of the slobs of the world? Guh... again, I'll stop writing... I'm getting too opinionated. Luckily I only have 1.5 readers, so nobody should get too upset.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
The world has hit a new low...
I'm finding myself very disappointed with our world lately. It's depressing really, how far we've fallen, and in so many ways. Here are a few examples of reasons I feel this way:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment