Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 9 + Canoeing Camp

My memory sucks, I forgot what I did last week... there was something I wanted to write but I forgot it. Oh well. I guess I did go sailing on Friday, and it was super windy and there were big waves (I kid you not, 2 foot swells. Maybe even 3 foot. It was hard to tell through the glare of how bad I suck at sailing). Really though, in a little boat it can get a little intense, in fact, the other boat capsized (which was amusing for everyone in my boat). Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of it this week, but I will get some next week.

A street in Rockhampton that I walked down. No, it doesn't have anything to do with sailing.

Oh, and on Tuesday I went to a cultural center and went on a tour and learned all about the natives of Australia. The guy who talked to us about the natives of the Torres Straight (the place between Australia and Papua New Guinea) said the word "Folks" over 70 times in the 15-20 minutes he talked to us. Aren't you glad that this was the highlight of the tour? We also learned other stuff, but it was inconsequential. Oh, and I threw a boomerang. I already said that though.

Hey, look, I'm surfing a giant dugong. I also look like an idiot. But that's not surprising.

The real reason I'm writing is to tell you all about Canoeing Camp. This is a camp that is "required" for one of my classes. Basically, the gist of it was come on this trip, camp out, eat out at a nice restaurant, go canoeing and kayaking, have a good time, and don't pay a cent for the whole thing. Yeah, basically the hardest assignment I've done yet.

So I'll make this as quick as possible. The resort we stayed at was really pleasant, we camped off to the side by an enclosure where we made our meals and stuff (and where we ended up moving our tents to since it rained like none other that evening). There were wallabies everywhere, I took many many pictures. We went canoeing the first day, which was pretty fun. We first learned skills (meaning we just canoed in circles for an hour or so) then went on an extended paddle up the river and saw pretty things.

Practicing our canoeing skills. Also, that's my professor in the foreground. He looks like a hobbit.

Mallory and Billy practicing more skills.

I took part in capsizing another boat. By took part, I mean I was sitting in the back of the boat that broadsided them.

Pretty scenery.

Rachel drinking her "Gatorade." By that I mean, 1/2 vodka, 1/2 water, and Gatorade powder. Also, the water isn't disgustingly stagnant (at least that's what they told us), the color comes from the water running past trees that give it the putrid brown color.

It started raining and looked picturesque, and you can't be a Cassie without taking a picture of every freaking picturesque thing that ventures within smelling distance.

Canoeing! And looking like an idiot.

Rachel fell in the gross water. I wonder if the vodka had anything to do with it...

Good scenic picture, right? Except for my professor on his cell phone right next to me. Yeah, you're really roughing it there aren't ya, Bilbo?

Occasionally our professor (really named David) would start splashing random people. Strange, but fun... I guess.

Rowing back after a long, fun paddle up the creek.


In the evening we ate dinner at a nice restaurant there, and the main meal was paid for by the school (I did in fact choose the most expensive dish, Rib Eye Steak). Then we decided to hang out in the "hot tub." Apparently, in Australia, "hot" means "cold." And tub still means tub. Either way, it was not a pleasant hot tub experience; the only way to make it feel actually hot was to jump in the freezing swimming pool then back into the hot tub, after which you could experience about five seconds of a slightly warm sensation. As the evening wore on, we decided to hang out under the enclosure (where our tents had been moved to). Everyone was way bored and went to bed early. I was kinda sad because I knew that the only reason they were bored is because they rarely/never hang out without alcohol, and when it isn't available they just don't know what to do.
Sunset over the resort.

Wallabies


Our rugged campsite.

The "hot" tub. Mallory was actually shivering in it.

To put it shortly, the night sucked. No pillow, on concrete, 1/2 inch pathetic-excuse-for-a-sleeping-pad, and loud birds. I was happy when morning came.

Making breakfast.

A mommy wallaby and her baby.

We did our kayaking later in the morning, basically just paddling down the creek for a while. At one point we were off in some side stream and one of the guys, Adam, came back freaking out about a huge spider, saying it was "this big!" (while holding his hands about six inches apart). Some of us went back to investigate and found a scary looking but small spider and concluded that Adam was just exaggerating. Then Rachel freaked out and screamed that it was on Billy's back. I couldn't see it at first, then I saw it swimming in the water. Adam was not exaggerating. It was huge, and the rest of us got out of there as quickly as possible.

Practicing our mad kayaking skills
.
Pretty little side creek.

I really like this picture.

Look close, but not too close. Giant killer spider!

Adam Matrix-style limboing a tree.

Maike was nice and took some pictures of me, so I have proof that I was there.

The whole group (and further proof that I really was there... I promise, I'm not that good at Photoshop). From left, top row is Tom, Maike, Adam, and Mallory. Bottom row is me, Rachel, and Billy.

Another group shot on the kayaks.

Billy and Adam were battling kayaks. Billy won.

Then I decided I ought to see what it feels like to capsize.


Capsizing=Successful

Dripping wet, but one level up in Kayaking Experience Points.

The rest of the trip was uneventful; we paddled to a little man-made waterfall, then paddled back. I helped Maike make hot dogs (weird, bright red Australian hot dogs), we ate them, packed up, and left. And so ends the account of my Canoeing Camp. The pictures tell a better story.

Bright red Australia hot dogs.

And last night, after coming back, I wanted to go on a walk. I went outside and it was way to windy, so I came back in and sat down on my bed. Then I felt a terrible stabbing pain in my leg and saw that I'd been bitten by the most hideous, huge ant. I freaked out and flicked it away (still don't know where it is) but the damage was done. I watched as the bit spread in an eerie fashion, like it was spreading through the veins of my leg making them swell in a small area. Then it stopped, thankfully, but it hurt really bad and still itches today. So instead of a pleasant walk, I got an annoying ant bite. Yay for Australian insects!

No comments: