Monday, July 28, 2008

Blogging, eh?

Up til now I've been very against online blogging. I don't have a very good argument for why I was against it, except that it seemingly takes people away from normal social interaction and puts them in front of a computer bragging about how cool they are and how wonderful their lives are. Or something like that... I once read an essay about how pathetic facebook is, and some of the arguments apply here. I would include a link to where the essay is, but it's actually full of swears, so I won't. But I'll include a couple quotes from it... these are part of a list of why facebook is bad.

"You don’t remember the last time you spoke to a friend on the phone. Why bother? Facebook is 24/7 free and no long distance. Voice? What’s that? You can hear their voice in their pictures of them holding their drinks. You can, can’t you…?"

"You run into someone you Facebook with in real life. They start to tell you about their life and events, but you already know everything. Who needs human contact and conversation anyway? Seems useless, you can barely listen to mp3s while talking at a bar. That Gwen Stefani’s not gonna listen to itself, you know. This person you barely know is now congratulating you on your new job. Seems totally appropriate, seeing as they don’t know what color your eyes are, or, you know, anything else."

See why I am still slightly opposed? I admit, I have a facebook account, but only for the ability it gives me to keep in touch with friends who are halfway across the world. And now I have a blog, for the sole purpose of keeping in touch with people. I don't know how to blog, but hopefully I will learn, but not too much, because I never want to be labeled as a "blogger." It's too close to other words I'd rather not be known as, like, "booger" or "blubber" or "pathetic."

No comments: