Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring Break vs Kentucky

Both experiences were good, so I declare this a tie.

Oh, by the way, I said I would write within 30 days of my last post... well, I failed. Not my fault though. My computer was in getting fixed (fourth repair and it took a week and a half... thank you Apple, no other computer company quite compares to you in quality), then when I finally got it back, my picture application didn't work, and we all know I am completely worthless without my pictures. So, after quite some time just waiting, and much time spent on the phone with Apple's friendly customer service representatives (particularly a man named Jewel), I finally have my computer back in working order. So, let me continue with this post...

I will begin with Spring Break. Well, I didn't have much of one, due to the fact that I agreed to stay at work while everyone else ran off and partied. BUT, on Thursday, I went home!!! Not straight home, unfortunately. I first went to my lovely little sister DeLaney's play, Hairspray, in Orem, then spent the night there, THEN I went home, on Friday morning.

Home was, as always, wonderful. What wouldn't be wonderful about riding horses, watching soccer games, swimming in the pool, playing basketball, and eating loads of food? And with that, I end my account of Spring Break, mainly because it was so long ago that I don't remember enough of it to go into a novel-length narrative, as I am prone to do.

Swimming!

Um... the rest of the month was, uneventful? It must have been, since my memory isn't telling me anything else significant that happened, though I admit, my memory isn't the most reliable source these days.

Anyway, on March 30th, I finally left on a long-awaited trip to Kentucky with my stupendously wonderful friend Bib (also known as Annalies). Many people asked why I went to Kentucky. My answer? For the heck of it. Bib had a teacher conference there and invited me to come with her for fun, so I went. The whole trip was extremely fun, and I will retell the story of our Kentuckian adventure through the many, many pictures we took (don't worry, I only included a select few of them here).

We lad a layover in Denver and saw a bunny outside. We wanted to remember this, but realized nothing about our surroundings would indicate that we were in Denver. So Bib made a sign, with a bunny on it (on the bottom right corner).

One of the first things we noticed in Louisville was that there were a lot of abstractly painted inanimate horses and riders residing in the city.

We liked these shirts, but were too cheap to buy them. Okay, fine, I was too cheap to buy one. Bib ended up buying hers.

He has no idea what's about to hit him.

We also noticed strange metal loops on the sidewalk. I have yet to determine the purpose of these things, except to take awkward pictures with. (Yes, I did just end that sentence with a preposition. Sometimes I just can't see any other way to go about it.)

Random: I just Googled that rule and found this quote from Winston Churchill about the rule to not put prepositions at the end of sentences: "This is a rule up with which we should not put."

Then, we found statues, and picture taking ensued.

We took about ten of these pictures. Most of them ended up looking like this. We just couldn't get the timing right, and by that I mean, Bib just couldn't get the timing right.

When someone other than Self Timer is taking the pictures (aka me), Bib's timing is GREAT!

We visited the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory the day after we arrived. I have to admit, it was pretty cool. Thanks, Bib, for insisting this be our first stop.

Backwards Hugging a Giant Baseball Bat!

I think that a while ago, Louisville realized that it really only had two things to brag about: Louisville Sluggers and the Kentucky Derby (and don't you worry, they brag about those quite a bit). So, they thought, what else can we do to stand out? And then somewhere, somebody said, "Hey, I know, let's stick a bunch of red penguins on top of a building!"

And then that same person said, "Hey, why not park a ruby-encrusted limo right next to that building?"

While Bib was at her teacher conference I was left with many hours to explore the city. This sort of opportunity makes me rather giddy, I love new places, especially if I am free to explore them by myself. One of my first stops (after being forcibly dropped off the bus in the creepiest part of town because the bus driver was on her break) was the strange Red Penguin building. Not only are the penguins outside the building, they are also randomly placed throughout the inside, and as I was told, they move around every night.

I also made a new friend. We had some rather amusing conversations.

Seeing as Louisville only has the Louisville Slugger and the Kentucky Derby, we couldn't leave without visiting the location of the Kentucky Derby: Churchill Downs.

A nice guy told us we could pet the horses. I didn't believe him, but I still hoped. Well, we didn't get to pet the horses. But we did get this cool picture. That's kind of like petting world class race horses, right?

And finally, this is Fourth Street Live. Every weekend the city blocks of this road for crazy partying and clubbing (apparently we missed this because all we saw were creepy girls hanging off stripper poles and a bunch of guys watching them... or, perhaps that's how all clubbing is?)

Anyway, so that's it for now. I wish I had a nice way to conclude this post but... I don't.

1 comment:

Annalies said...

I'm glad you didn't post that one picture of me reading that one magazine. Or any of the other embarrassing pole ones that we took by the river. Wow... I just made myself sound super creepy. Thanks for not posting those to the world though. :) I still wish we would have gotten a picture of those random childrens shoes that showed up around the city though.