New development in Cassie's life: I'm working for the United States Census Bureau.
I just completed 4 full on days of training, and when I say full on, I mean 4 full days of hardcore sitting there daydreaming. I think I may have a form of ADD, or ADHD, I actually don't know the difference. But I find it very difficult to focus for more than about three seconds. Unless I'm focusing on Cube Runner, a nifty game on my iPod touch where you fly what appears to be a gray paper airplane around pixelated boxes toward a forever unseen goal.
Fun Fact: "pixelated" isn't actually a word. At least, not on Apple's Dictionary or on Blogspot.com. But it is when you Google it, and as I always said, Google knows best.
Fun Fact: even on Blogspot.com, "blogspot" isn't a word. But it is on Google. I don't think 341 million results would lie.
Anyway, back to the Census. Yep, I get to go door to door asking people what their address is. Even better, I'm not the first one doing this. So most people greet us with, "Them census people come 'round here already." If they come to the door at all.
Today I did my first houses. In Paragonah. This is a great place to train for abnormal situations, like strange living quarters hidden behind peoples houses. While walking up to someone's house I heard an old guy who was in no abnormal way just standing there on the road, yell, "She died!" Indicating, of course, that the owner of the house I was approaching had passed away.
When we walked away, the man just stayed there, in the road. I suspect that this may be the main form of entertainment for Paragonahns. That and looking out your window for unfamiliar people to walk by so you can yell your religion at them.
And with that I ended my "canvassing" (fancy Census word for knocking on every door asking for addresses).
Now that training has concluded, I get to go out into the big, scary world, all by myself, and annoy people. Mind you, this scary world isn't just any scary world. It's a world full of southern Utah rednecks with an excess either of guns or wives, none of which is good of you are a Census enumerator (fancy word for people who canvass).
Luckily, I'm not just any Census enumerator. Neither am I just any Quality Control enumerator. I'm a Crew Leader Assistant. Meaning I get to spend hours in my car driving around talking to people, luckily most of whom are people I already know. Though I do suspect several of them of having too many guns... and possibly wives.
So, I'm about to enter the real world, full of big, scary people who I get to meet face to face on their doorsteps. Wish me luck, my invisible, possibly imaginary readers.
3 comments:
My question - What did that have to do with dungeons or dragons?
My comment - haha! I must say, I don't know why you don't like your job - it sounds ultimately entertaining...I would probably offend lots of people by laughing at the wrong time...that's why I'm not good for that job.
Haha, dungeons and dragons because during our training we had to do a virtual walk through of a town and we were asked what we would do next and stuff. It felt like a very boring version of dungeons and dragons.
Ultimately entertaining is an interesting way to describe it... I'm just excited I get to spend so much time in my car listening to books on tapes and getting paid for it.
Dear Cassie,
I feed your fish often.
I've updated my blog.
You haven't.
-Cicely
Post a Comment